Insert a multi-band compressor on your mix and your reference mix. Split into these categories of frequencies and think in terms of textures. Compare.
- 80Hz and below – subs (weight). Too much makes it heavy and sluggish.
- 80 – 200Hz – bass (warmth)
- 200 – 500Hz – low mids (intimacy)
- 500Hz – 2kHz – midrange (energy, fire)
- 2kHz – 5kHz – upper mids (bite, sharpness). Too little – mix sits behind the speakers. Too much – painful to listen
- 5kHz and up – treble (sparkle). Too little – dull, lifeless. Too much – zingy, crisp.
Source: https://www.ubkhappyfuntimehour.com/ episode 205
An example of multi-band compressor is Reaper’s own ReaXcomp. Add to your mix, select a band and then click “Solo current band” to listen to this texture only.